A fundamental framework and perspective that I embrace in working with young people is the Positive Youth Development Framework where we look at young people from a developmental view rather than a deficit view. So in the coaching & mentoring that I do with young people, it’s always coming from that space of facilitating their growth and development.
And amongst the many approaches out there today, I deeply align myself with the Solution Focused Approach which truly respects and recognizes the potential and strengths of every individual as we work out the unique solution to their context.
Lastly, for the coaching and mentoring sessions, I adopt an informal rather than formal approach with young people. The reason why such an informal approach is needed is that I believe that young people can truly be themselves when they feel at ease and safe. Therefore, you can expect many of the sessions to be conducted in a variety of settings like outdoors or in their homes right where they are most comfortable.
A typical process of how I work with my youth clients would be:
- Building rapport & engagement
- Understanding what they want and how they view the situation
- Creating together with them a picture of what the outcomes of working together look like
- Identifying what’s already working for them and building on it
- Building small steps and generating creative solutions
- Reviewing and refining the plan
- Celebrating small successes together with them and their family
And a typical timeframe where I can work on something with my clients would be between 3 – 6 months typically with an average of 5 – 10 sessions in total.
To enquire more about my mentoring and coaching service with young people, please click below.
*For female youth clients, I will be able to arrange for other associate coaches to work with them.